Clifton Place

Photo:Clifton Place looking south

Clifton Place looking south

John Riddington

Photo:Clifton Place looking north

Clifton Place looking north

John Riddington

Photo:The demolished Garden House

The demolished Garden House

from The James Gray Collection of The Regency Society

By John Riddington

Clifton Place is a one way street that runs steeply downhill from Clifton Terrace to Upper North Street. There are fine views of the sea from the street as it runs downhill towards the sea.

It was mainly built in the 1850s, the west side first, with the three houses on the east side being built in 1858/9.

The block of flats called the Garden House at the top end on the east side (13 Clifton Place), replaced a Gothic villa, which was initially called Saxon Lodge, but finally the Garden House. It was built around 1850 and demolished in 1964. It was at one time the Rectory for St Nicholas Church, but in later years was owned by actors and TV people, the last owner being the actor Clive Brook (source: The Regency Society)

2 Clifton Place, on the west side, was built less than ten years ago, but this is not obvious from the street.

The Windmill pub at the bottom of Clifton Place, on Upper North Street, was built before the houses in Clifton Place, probably in 1828.

For some reason cabling was not put down Clifton Place when cabling was installed in most of the rest of Brighton.

This page was added on 08/08/2010.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.