1824

By John Riddington

The map below shows that by 1824 the workhouse and The Temple (now Brighton and Hove High School for Girls) had been built. The Temple was built in 1819 and is centre left on the map. The lower windmill was Vine's Mill, with Clifton Hill above and Vine Place below. Above Clifton Hill is the Church Hill School House Estate. The second map shows more clearly the area immediately around the workhouse and shows the mill workers cottages in Vine Place. The bottom map comes from 1822, is somewhat cruder, but clearer. It also shows the Chalybeate, a "curative" mineral spring, which became St. Ann's Well Gardens. The dotted track going towards the Chalybeate became Victoria Road and it also shows that in 1822 Montpelier Road did not extend north of the Road to Blatchington (Clifton Hill) to join Dyke Road at the Seven Dials.

Photo:J Pigott-Smith 1824 map

J Pigott-Smith 1824 map

Image supplied by Steve Myall

Photo:Area around the workhouse from J Pigott-Smith map

Area around the workhouse from J Pigott-Smith map

Image supplied by Steve Myall

Photo:W Belch 1822 map

W Belch 1822 map

Image supplied by Steve Myall

This page was added on 28/02/2011.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.