1875

By John Riddington

By 1875 the workhouse had been demolished and its estate built upon and virtually the whole area had been developed. A set of very detailed maps of the area produced in 1875 and 1876 are held in the Brighton History centre, and the images below show the areas around St Nicholas Church, Powis Square, Montpelier Crescent, the Children's Hospital and the Temple (now Brighton & Hove Girls' School). Note that the current Children's Hospital building was not built until 1880-81 and that the long gardens of five houses on north side of Powis Square were not built on until 1964.

Photo:Area below St Nicholas Church

Area below St Nicholas Church

Photo of map held in the Brighton History Centre

Photo:Powis Square area

Powis Square area

Image supplied by Steve Myall

Photo:Area around Montpelier Crescent

Area around Montpelier Crescent

Photo of map held in the Brighton History Centre

Photo:Area around the Children's Hospital

Area around the Children's Hospital

Photo of map held in the Brighton History Centre

Photo:Area around the Temple (B&H Girls' School)

Area around the Temple (B&H Girls' School)

Photo of map held in the Brighton History Centre

This page was added on 28/02/2011.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.