Hampton Terrace

By Steve Myall

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Hampton Terrace' page

This very rare engraving is from the design of Amon Henry Wilds, published c1825, and was titled ‘Hampton Terrace Commanding a View of the Oriental Gardens’. The block was never built, but was Wilds’ suggested plan for the north side of Western Road which today is between Montpelier Road in the west and Hampton Place in the east.  The smaller house far left was Lady Gosford’s  West Hill Lodge, where Waitrose is today, and the single storey building immediately to the right of Hampton Terrace was Hampton Lodge, the very plush bungalow home of Henry Fauntleroy (illustrated below)  Fauntleroy was a London banker who was found guilty of stealing his customers’ deposits and was hanged outside Newgate Prison in November 1824.  The home was then purchased by Sir Edward Codrington, who served at Trafalgar. He developed Codrington House in Hampton Place, and a terrace of houses called Codrington Place. These stood where the Waitrose car park is today, and two of them still remain on the exit slip road, directly behind the proposed site of Wilds’ development . There is a Hampton Terrace today, but it is just four houses, as part of Upper North Street, on the north side just east of Montpelier Street.

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Hampton Terrace' page

 

Hampton Lodge, the bungalow home of the banker Henry Fauntleroy, situated on Western Road, close to the western corner of Hampton Place.

Steel engraving, c1820, no artist or engraver named.

 

This page was added on 15/04/2011.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.