Church Hill from the east

By Steve Myall

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Church Hill from the east' page

This c1850 aquatint engraving by W.J. Alais after the drawing by George Ruff is viewing the east side of Church Hill, from the vantage point of the Hanover district. It looks across Richmond Place and St. Peter’s Church, directly up Trafalgar Street. The newly built bridge from the station to Queen’s Road can be seen, and on the horizon is a rare view of our area from the east. Hodson’s Mill, where West Hill Road is today, can be seen in the centre, and the spire to the right is that of All Saints’ Church in Compton Avenue, built just a few years before this print was published. Compton Avenue was originally all part of Clifton Road, but by 1856 the row of homes on the north-western end was called Compton Terrace, and probably took its name from the large house, Compton Lodge, which looked down over the valley towards Ireland’s Pleasure Gardens. This building today is 49 Buckingham Place and is the origin of this northern extension of Clifton Road being re-named.

Ruff’s drawing is one of the few mid C19th views which illustrates the industrial side to Brighton’s growth, with the terraces of working class houses and the chimneys of the iron foundries just down wind of the new station, while above them on the hill the creation of the new middle class estates of Clifton and Powis is in full swing. The chimney to the left of Trafalgar Street was probably that of the Eagle Foundry, owned by John Yearsley.

This page was added on 09/05/2011.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.