Hampton Lodge

By Steve Myall

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Hampton Lodge' page

This is a rare steel engraving entitled ‘Hampton Lodge, Fauntleroy’s Villa, Brighton’.  The bungalow was the very richly decorated home of Henry Fauntleroy, the banker of Marsh, Sibbald, Graham, Stracey and Fauntleroy of Berners Street, London.

In September 1824, before much of our area was developed, Fauntleroy was arrested on a charge of forgery. He had been forging signatures to cash in government stock lodged by customers with the bank. He was a well known figure in Brighton, having a number of finely furnished houses, driving splendid carriages and keeping expensive mistresses, but his bank's losses were over £400,000 and they quickly went bankrupt. He was hanged outside Newgate Prison in November 1824, watched by a crowd said to be over 10,000. The official hangman for Newgate was James Botting who lived just near West Street, not far from Hampton Lodge itself. Tradition has it that Botting gave his victims a drop of no more than two feet, so their deaths were very slow. (My Brighton & Hove internet site – 2007).

Hampton Lodge was then purchased by Sir Edward Codrington.  Codrington was the captain of Orion (74 guns), and was involved in the blockade of Cadiz and the battle of Trafalgar in October 1805. According to the Pigott-Smith map published in 1826, the gardens to Hampton Lodge extended eastwards up to the turning that was to become Hampton Place, and it was on this land that Sir Edward later developed Codrington House and Sutton Lodge.  In recent times Sutton Lodge was the Post Office on the corner of Hampton Place and Western Road – operating until 2005. Before the PO took it over, the house was used as a bank, and its ornate frontage was built in the front garden of Sutton Lodge.  Codrington is recorded as living in Hampton Lodge in 1832, but by August that year he had let the bungalow to Sir Samuel Shepherd. In the mid 1840s Sir Edward developed nine houses in Codrington Place, and owned numbers 1 and 2 Western Cottages, which later became 1 and 2 Sillwood Road. The NatWest bank building now stands on this site, with the result that Sillwood Road starts with number 3. Codrington Place was a terrace of three-storey homes where Waitrose car-park is today, and was accessed from Western Road, then called Western Place, by a short road where the eastern boundary of Waitrose is now. In the deeds to the estate of Sir Edward Codrington’s grandson, Lt. Col. Alfred Edward Codrington of the Coldstream Guards, these nine houses were each let at £70 to £80 pa. The executors for the sale of the Codrington estate wrote in the sale prospectus that of the nine Codrington Place homes ‘all the tenants are highly respectable and most satisfactory’. The whole estate, which included Fauntleroy’s bungalow and four other large homes, was sold in May 1899 to William Richard Sutton, of Middlesex, for £42,000.

In the sale prospectus for the Codrington estate Hampton Lodge was let at a annual rental of £153. 3s 6d.  When William Richard Sutton, from Middlesex, purchased the Codrington Estate in 1899 the only property he demolished was Fauntleroy’s home, Hampton Lodge.  

This page was added on 09/05/2011.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.